Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Getting ready

So, for the past few weeks I have been mentally preparing to try out for the Jacksonville Roller Derby team. Thats right, all girl roller derby! Seems a little spontaneous does it not?
Let me break down the recent events for you:

It started with a friend and I going to see Whip It. The movie was fun and it gave me the idea to be a derby girl for halloween. On the way home, we were coming up with our "derby" names.

Shortly after, I was at my local comic shop when I saw a flyer that said Nothin' Beats JRG Fresh Meat Recruitment Night. I picked one up out of curiosity. I went about my day and later found it in my purse. Towards the bottom I read " NO skating experience or equipment required". I thought, ok maybe I could do this. I used to skate a lot, both regular quad skates and inline. That's not saying I was very good at it. One thing I always had a problem with was stopping. Well, there was always something or someone to run into. So the first thoughts of trying out emerged.

The movie + the flyer made me do a lot of thinking. First, it gave me the great idea to be a roller derby girl for halloween. So I started a list: Skates, helmet, knee/elbow/writs pads, funky colors, etc. Started looking online for ideas and of course where I could get the items I needed cheap.

Second, I found myself talking to my closest friends about it constantly. ET & DC both told me I should actually try out for the team. They reminded me, "After all, the card does say no skating experience required." So this started my mission. (Nothing like encouragement from your closest friends to get your fire going.) The more I talked about it to other people and even going into a few stores where strangers assumed I was a "derby girl" made me feel more confindent to try out, especially because to them I already look the part.

I researched roller skates online. Went out and tried a few on. Got lucky at Play It Again, Sports and found a pair of Riedell Carerra speed skates. (I realized later these are not beginner skates, lol.) However, even for a halloween costume, I was determined to look the part. The more serious I got just looking for pieces for the costume I became even more serious about trying out for the team. Skates, pads, socks, and helmet have all been purchased. Since I was spending the money, I decided to get better equipment, just in case I do make the team. : )

This lead to picking out a name. I even went to the roster everyday to make sure the name was original. It took 2 weeks of brainstorming and several pages of paper. Even if I don't make the team, I have a name I am happy with. If you haven't figured it out yet, the title of this blog includes my name: q t pi I'm actually going to use the pi symbol and my # will be 3.14. For those that know me understand that I am a geekette. Love it or leave it but that is who I am. Cute & geeky = me

Try-outs are tomorrow and I am nervous. Whether I make the team or not, the past few weeks getting ready for the part have been fun. I can't wear my skates to the costume party next week but I will look cute anyway.

So wish me luck, please don't tell me to break a leg since it is entirely possible. I don't want anyone to cheer for me during the try-outs, but if I make it, I hope to have a few people watching me during the games.

Til Thursday I will have a bunch of built up anxiety which will hopefully fuel my engine during the fresh meat recruitment night. Hopefully, they won't eat me alive.

1 comment:

  1. So, I can't say "break a leg", but I'm still going to wish you a punch in the face. That way, you'll look tough, and have some street cred! You're going to do great tonight!!

    ReplyDelete