*happy dance* Oh yeah, I made it! I'm a derby girl! Woot! Now is the hard part, PRACTICE! There are skills tests and several things to complete before my first bout...
It took a lot of courage for me to get out of the car and even walk in. I am SO glad I did. My friend Emily was right. She told me if I didn't do it I would regret it. I had so much fun just meeting the girls and all the new people! I was really worried I would be the only un-experienced skater, wrong! There were at least 5 girls that had never skated before. I skated around the rink on the potato (rental) skates probably 20 or 30 times. I didn't fall once! Came close but no wipe outs, yet. Don't worry boys and girls, my fair share is right around the corner.
First we have to get our equipment together. I have skates and a helmet purchased already, however the pads I purchased won't be good enough so I can't go to practices until I have them. They will be teaching us how to stop and how to fall before we do anything else. Why do we fall? To learn to pick ourselves back up!
I am really excited about the road ahead. The only thing I'm not happy about is practices are on Sunday morning, Wednesday & Thursday nights. I won't be able to make it to church or career group on Thursday nights so I will have to juggle that. Attendance is a big part, if your not there then I won't improve to bout, therefore I will be kicked off the team.
These girls take this sport seriously and I'm glad they do. I wouldn't want it any other way.
I was even more excited that my friends are behind me and encouraging me. If it wasn't for David and Emily pushing me and standing behind me I probably wouldn't of had the courage to walk in. So a big THANK YOU shout out to you guys, I couldn't do it without you!
I could see and feel the community with these girls. They are a family. They take care of each other, they care about each other. It was great to see it and they were so warm and welcoming. They made you feel a part of the team right away. Community is something I have been searching for. I love my church ( RCC ) however I don't really connect with many people there. It's my fault that I don't go every single Sunday and Thursday night and also my fault that I don't reach out and contact people to hang out. :bows head in shame: I'm one of those people that says, "If they want to hang out with me they would call".... Well, instead of sitting on the side lines and waiting for something to happen sometimes you have to get off your lazy a$$ and MAKE IT HAPPEN! :)
So here I am, making it happen! I am official Fresh Meat and will be practicing in the kiddie pool for awhile. As long as they are willing to have patience and teach me, I am willing to learn. My adrenaline is still pumped high from last night. Can you feel the electricity running through me? No? Maybe you should stand a little closer, I may just shock you!
Thursday, October 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment